If you're considering postgraduate study, you'll want to favourite this page. We have compiled the ultimate list of helpful links that we wish someone had made for us when we were researching postgraduate study.
Step 1 - What's out there?
One of the most important things when considering postgraduate study is making sure you're aware of all your options. Do you want to do a research based degree or a taught one? Did you know there were such things as Postgraduate Diplomas? Have you considered a part-time course?
Check out these links below to educate yourself on education:
- Types of Postgraduate Study by The Complete University Guide
- Prospects' explanation of Postgraduate Diplomas and Certificates
- A guide to Diplomas and Certifications by FindAMasters
- Study modes: Full-time, Part-time by Postgraduate Studentships
- Postgrad Part-Time Study by Postgrad.com
Step 2 - Funding possibilities
Did you know that in the UK the government will now offer Master's degree student loans for courses starting after 1st August 2016? There's also plans for PhD loan funding from 2018-2019. Plus, there are charities and grants you may be applicable for but may not know about. For everything you need to know about funding, check out the following:
- Loans for PhD students from Times Higher Education
- FindAMasters' guide on UK Postgraduate loans
- Our Postgraduate Fair advice on funding
- Erasmus Funding
- UK Research Councils
- Postgraduate Studentships - Charities and Trusts
- Applying for a postgraduate loan - gov.uk
- The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Study
Step 3 - Finding your dream course
Once you've decided what type of study you're going to pursue, you've got to find the course most suited to you. Unless you have an allegiance to a certain university, the following sites will help you discover which courses are out there:
- UCAS course search
- Postgraduate Search's PGDip (Postgrad Diploma) search
- FindAMasters' Diploma search
- FindAMasters' Certification search
- Attend our Postgraduate Fair
Step 4 - Applications and Personal Statements
Remember personal statements? Yep, you've got to write another one, and you probably can't remember all the things you were told in school about what makes a personal statement oustanding. Here are some resources to jog your memory:
- Prospects' guide to postgraduate personal statements
- UCAS' guide to UKPASS applications
- Writing a postgraduate personal statement by Studential
- Applying for a PhD - how to apply
If you are considering postgraduate study, you may want to check out our postgraduate fair on Tuesday 24 October 2017 at University of London's Senate House.